Saturday

Walkabout

We didn't get to go walking at one of the state parks this weekend. But we did walk around our yard and get some much needed work done on our greens. We lost four scrubs this year so we'll be replacing them and adding three more where there where bare spots when we purchased our home last year. Katy and I got the flower bed cleaned out (mostly). We've discovered that the mint, ivy, and even the chrysanthimums have survived the freezy weather we've had this year. We where amazed at the number of grape hyacinths we pulled from the garden. And the large patch of violet wood sorrels (forget me not clover) in the back yard. As the wildflower time of year is fast approaching we will be working on our wildflower collection. I discovered a love for them when the biology department had all our sophmores do collections. It was alot of hard work, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Anyway, this year we are working on getting the greenery base built up in the yard, shrubs, monkey grass and jasmine around the trees (saving David some mow time), and getting the lawn in better shape, currently we have a few bald spots (they are alot smaller then last year), and some sections that have week spindly grass types (not to mention the dandilions, clover, and ants in the back yard). Then we'll start on some perrenial landscaping. We have been considering some bulbs in the fall for next spring. We didn't buy and get any in this last year, I just love crocus and iris'. I'd also like to plant some pheony bushes somewhere in the back. Currently we have a white rose bush that we will be battleing this summer as we didn't trim it back last fall like we should have. And wild climbing trumpet vines on the red-tips and around the back fense lines. We got part of that cleaned out last year, not to work on the rest this spring. Boy does that stuff grow fast. The flowers are really pretty, but they do draw alot of bees. So the to-do list has trimming the bushes down to about two feet, shaping the holly near our front door (again), and getting the new shrubs, monkey grass, and jasmine bought and planted. It will take a few months so one step at a time.
P.S. I uploaded the slide show to the right of the 62 card challenge I did a while back, forgot I hadn't done that yet.
And here's the slideshow I promised that included all the pictures David took, I know I am obsessed with turtles, and I only took two of these pictures, I may have to get David his own camera soon, he was having a great time taking all these pictures. Enjoy!! I'll try to get a slide show up this next week from our spring break pictures.

No comments:

The Woman who works with her hands only is a laborer. The woman who works with her hands and her head is a Crafts Woman. The Woman who works with her hands, her head, & her heart is an ARTIST. And if she uses her talents to bless others, she's an ARTIST after God's heart.