We got loaded up and checked out of the hotel by 9am and heading back north tword Amarillo for some sight seeing and lunch before heading for the mountains. Our first stop was to see the stone feet of King Ozymondias. These are some old ruins that inspired Percy Shelley, the author of "Frankenstein" to write his poem "Ozymondias" in 1819. Today the remains are the feet and calfs of the statue and a historic marker. The Amarillo Nature museum has a replica of the original statue and the face figuire that is mentioned on the marker. The feet over time have been the abused symble from competing schools and colleges taking on vandilizing of painting and scrapping. These where once even painted with tube socks on them. lol Anyway, I've always found them interesting as the feet and calfs are a physical symbol of strength and steadfastness.
Then we headed over to the Cadillac Ranch just west of Amarillo. We took the south loop around Soncy for a quick jump around town. Here we got to see some little artist working on their graffiti work and take some new photos. One of the favorite things to do here is climb all over these old pieces of artwork. One of my first fond memories is of a picture I took of our team when we first moved to Amarillo. It's neat how we've all grown into our new rolls in life. Anyway, you can even see David and his new passtime,
chewing on his nails. Where's the lemon juice when you need it? lol Then for lunch at Taco's Garcia with some of David's old co-workers and a dear friend of mine. We ended up spending two hours at the restaurant talking, having lunch, and catching up on all the important things in life. We where having such a wonderful time it was so hard to say goodbye. I'm so proud of her accomplishments this year, she's worked very hard at West Texas A&M University. She got her baccelor's degree and is now working toward her Masters. She's really like a little sis and is very dear to
my heart. While I was finishing up my time at WT she was beginning her college career. It was so great to catch up and see the wonder Godly woman she is becoming.
my heart. While I was finishing up my time at WT she was beginning her college career. It was so great to catch up and see the wonder Godly woman she is becoming. Then after lunch we headed up 287 on our way to Trinidad, Colorado. This scene kept catching my eye all the way from Amarillo so I had David stop. I don't know what it is about it. I just like the peacefulness of the blue sky and the slow whirling of he Windmill. A typical sight in the panhandle area.
This last picture is of our sunset view from our hotel. You can see the mountain ranges faintly in he distance and a little bit of the shimmer from a lake. It was much more colorful in real life then here. But it was just north of the Raton/Trinidad Pass going from New Mexico into Colorado.257 miles driven, 60+ bug splats, 1 hard to say goodbye luncheon, tons of great sight seeing and mountain range/through the pass photos, a stuffy headed mom, and three very tired travelers that will get a great nights sleep after a homestyle meal at the hotel's Country Kitchen Cafe'. Night 2 10:30pm
1 comment:
i LOVE the drive from Amarillo to Colo Springs. Looks like you do to. I am glad to have you back. My first SU show is this weekend. I decided to have two times for my open house saturday morning and Tuesday night. I am excited. My mom is here until Monday. We have been having a nice (and productive) visit. I go back to work the 21st. I think I am ready. Okay, talk to you soon. Love you!
Post a Comment