We caught a glimps of this Robber Fly (this species is called the Bee Killer) enjoying an afternoon snack. These guys look like such alien abductors I couldn't resist getting a shot of him. They are actually the vampires of the flying insect world. The capture and struggle with their pray while in flight and only land while sucking all the body fluids from their pray. They rival the dragonfly in their predator skills. They are highly common east of the Rocky Mountains and west of the Mississippi. They can get as large as an inch and a half in length. They are capible of inflicting a very painful bite if handled. They often take on larger flying insects, but after a short stuggle usually prevail. Basicly look only at these guys, they don't usually get aggresive with non-insects, but they might bite if you handle or threaten their close proximity. Okay that's the end of your entomology lesson for today. Have a great weekend. I'll be offline most of this weekend as we'll be celebrating my mom's birthday, enjoying the drive-in that's showing Pirates of the Caribean and Wild Hogs with two of DD's friends (yes, that will be three teenagers in our car for the evening), going to a swimming/memorial day cookout, and I'll be going to a stamping workshop most of tomorrow. As you can see we have a busy lineup for this holiday weekend. I'll have some very exciting news for you guys on Tuesday. You will just have to wait and see until then. I'll also share the crafts we are going to make tomorrow.
Friday
Picture of the Day
We caught a glimps of this Robber Fly (this species is called the Bee Killer) enjoying an afternoon snack. These guys look like such alien abductors I couldn't resist getting a shot of him. They are actually the vampires of the flying insect world. The capture and struggle with their pray while in flight and only land while sucking all the body fluids from their pray. They rival the dragonfly in their predator skills. They are highly common east of the Rocky Mountains and west of the Mississippi. They can get as large as an inch and a half in length. They are capible of inflicting a very painful bite if handled. They often take on larger flying insects, but after a short stuggle usually prevail. Basicly look only at these guys, they don't usually get aggresive with non-insects, but they might bite if you handle or threaten their close proximity. Okay that's the end of your entomology lesson for today. Have a great weekend. I'll be offline most of this weekend as we'll be celebrating my mom's birthday, enjoying the drive-in that's showing Pirates of the Caribean and Wild Hogs with two of DD's friends (yes, that will be three teenagers in our car for the evening), going to a swimming/memorial day cookout, and I'll be going to a stamping workshop most of tomorrow. As you can see we have a busy lineup for this holiday weekend. I'll have some very exciting news for you guys on Tuesday. You will just have to wait and see until then. I'll also share the crafts we are going to make tomorrow.
The Woman who works with her hands only is a laborer. The woman who works with her hands and her head is a Crafts Woman. The Woman who works with her hands, her head, & her heart is an ARTIST. And if she uses her talents to bless others, she's an ARTIST after God's heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment