
Today I an just in love with the color yellow. I got my kit yesterday and got those two packages of bold bright papers and just love that yoyo yellow color. I'm going to have to work on some yellow cards soon. Anyway back to the pictures for the day. Since I've been in nonposting land most of this week and will be next week as we will be camping (okay, it's more of a condo cabin) I'm posting three PODs today and I'll post some more when we get back (friday 6/15). And hopeful some more cards as well. We have stamp class that saturday so I'm sure I'll have something to share. Okay, folks out there in blogger land, here's your science lesson for the day. This is a common honey bee on this lovely giant yellow lily. Not sure of the name as this is not a wildflower but a bought bulb. Jaz give me a break I'm only naming wildflowers and cretters. I took entomology and ecology, and taught lessons on wildflowers so those are the ones I can identify. I'll get you a catalog of bulbs from Uncle Don's seed company if you want to help identify these.

Okay back to the science lesson. Sorry for the rant, I just know I'm getting an email from her on this. This little guy is a frittilary butterfly. Okay I'm only going to the family, too many species in this family. Frittilary have a spotting on the top of their wings and silver metalic markings on their underwings where the spots are. This one is a Varigated Black spot I think, but his upper wing is a little different from the ones I've seen before. I was able to distiquish this one from the bucheyes because I got quite a few shots of him mostly like this and a few with his wings closed so I could see the metalic markings.
The Frittilary family all have those characteristic metalic under wing markings. This next little fella is somewhat of a puzzler. I can only narrow him down to the family Nymphalidae. So he's either a varigated variaty of frittilary or a hackberry. "Side Note" the silver underwings of the Frittilary family is a defense mechanism, when they flip up their wings the reflective metalic markings may startle any preditors just for a split second so they can fly away. The wildflowers here are commonly called cow-pen daisies. They are a field/pasture wildflower. The entire plant has an unpleasant scent when crushed or even toughed as most flowers in the Asteraceae do (that's the same family the asters and sunflowers are in, most are yellow in variety). Some portions of the plant were used for treating boils, skin diseases, and spider bites, much like tenderizer on a bee sting.
The Frittilary family all have those characteristic metalic under wing markings. This next little fella is somewhat of a puzzler. I can only narrow him down to the family Nymphalidae. So he's either a varigated variaty of frittilary or a hackberry. "Side Note" the silver underwings of the Frittilary family is a defense mechanism, when they flip up their wings the reflective metalic markings may startle any preditors just for a split second so they can fly away. The wildflowers here are commonly called cow-pen daisies. They are a field/pasture wildflower. The entire plant has an unpleasant scent when crushed or even toughed as most flowers in the Asteraceae do (that's the same family the asters and sunflowers are in, most are yellow in variety). Some portions of the plant were used for treating boils, skin diseases, and spider bites, much like tenderizer on a bee sting. Where that's about all I have for you today. Hope you are enjoying these PODs. Let me know what you think, if I should keep doing them or change to something different. Keep in mind you really wont be able to get me to stop taking all these photos. lol Tootles for now!!
1 comment:
These images are totally awesome! WOW!
Post a Comment