Wednesday

Day 1 of our Trip

Well when you go on an exstended trip like we did the days tend to blurr together. So we did a family journal and put pictures together with it. So I thought I'd share our highlights over the next week or so.

Day 1 Started at 5am.
We headed down the much traveled and familiar route from home up to the panhandle. We lived in Amarillo for over five years and traveled this route at least every other month to visit family back home. So there became our usually stops and occasional punny comments. David's favorite is "Look ain't that a Butte?" To which the questioning reply is butte or butt? It's just not the same unless you are in on the original joke I guess. Then we always stop to pick some cotton. lol But alass the cotton plants are still in the growing stages so there's no tufts to pick yet. Sorry I will not be mailing you any cotton seeds yet this year. lol You know who you are!! And you secretly love getting them in the mail. This one goes back to our first fall in Amarillo. We where on our way back to Dallas for a Marrieds retreat with another couple and I insisted on stopping to pick some of the tufts to take back to my pre-school class to teach them about cotton plants and seeds. Okay I'm a teacher and see alot of teaching moments in real life situations. I guess you would have to be there. Being the only teacher in the car they thought I was nuts for wanting to do this. And the running joke was don't let me drive because I'll stop to pick cotton along the trip. lol

We arrived earlier then planned so we got to take in a matinee. Since David hadn't seen the latest Harry Potter flick we saw that. Katy and I still enjoyed it even though we caught it when it first came out several weeks back. We even caught some new tidbits. You can look back at my posts to see our review for it. Then we where off for Canyon to check in and get settled for the evening. We decided to grab a bite at one of the roadhouses in Canyon and enjoyed a wonderful dinner of steak, chicken, veggies, and salad. Then we headed out to Palo Duro Canyon for an evening drive and sunset watching over the rim. We brought all three of our cameras so we got some really wonderful shots of the canyon. DD is in this shot getting her own pictures of the spanish skirts. We didn't have time for a hike to the lighthouse so we will have to save that for another trip. The park closed at 10pm so it was the perfect ending to a long driving day.


381 miles driven, 40+ bug splats, 1 afternoon movie matinee for 3, 3 satisfied tummies, tons of great canyon photos, and three very tired travelers that will get a great nights sleep. Night 1 10:30pm

No comments:

The Woman who works with her hands only is a laborer. The woman who works with her hands and her head is a Crafts Woman. The Woman who works with her hands, her head, & her heart is an ARTIST. And if she uses her talents to bless others, she's an ARTIST after God's heart.