Well here's those Cookies I was telling you about. These are from one of the older family recipes I found in my Grand's old hand writen recipe book. Mom will not allow this book out of her house so I have to copy it down while I am there by hand and then cook them at home. One day that wonderful book will be mine to hord so I'll be patiente untill then. Besides I can take a gander anytime I'm at mom's. Just one of the pleasures of living close to them now. Anywho, These are sparkly cookies. They are made with sugar crystals instead of plain gradulated sugar. They are similar to snickerdoodles in that they are a rolled in sugar cookie, but the batter has the cinnimon and nutmeg mixed into it with the crystals rolled on the outside. They can be made either crispy or semi-soft. We made the crispy variety here.I was asked by many over that week what our secrets to cookie baking are. Well they really are simple really!! My tricks are using an air baked cookie sheet. This is a must to have an evenly cooked cookie for me. I tried the old and faithful and the non stick kind, but I tended to not get each batch the same results. One christmas shorty after these hit the market I received them as a gift and I'll never go back to any other cookie sheet again for cookies. Don't get me wrong I dearly love my pampered chief stones and salad master cooking utensils, but for cookies you just can't go wrong with air bake. Just to clearify, I have no affiliation to the company that sales these (and I'm not even sure who that would be),
but if they would like to send me some free stuff I'd jump for joy and tell anyone about them good or bad. In other words this is my opinion on the topic, if you disagree, your intitled to that. Next a cooling rack, mine is pampered chief, and they can send me free stuff anytime!! This makes sure the cookies cool so they don't continue cooking while on the baking sheet. Also helps set the crispness, (that's what they tell me anyway). Personnally I use it to empty the cookie sheet so I can fill it again before the one in the open is done. I do use two cookie sheets at a time, that's why they usually come in twos. This saves time when you are making 10 dozen in one afternoon. Then there is the metal spaula. I have a weird way of getting my cookies off of the cookie sheet since as you can tell there is not, I repeat NOT a non-stick surface on these sheets. I take the sheet out set it on the warmed surface of the stove top and walk across my kitchen take a few drinks of my iced whatever at the table and come back and using the spaula upside down scrape under each cookie as I remove them from the sheet onto the cooling rack. For one it practically leaves no cookie on the sheet, and two the center is still soft enough that if you cool it now on the rack it will stay a little softer then the crispy outside. Isn't that the perfect way a cookie should be? Then there is the debate over size. I perfer smaller 2 inch size cookies so I use a medium or small baller tool pictured upper center in the picture. This makes drop cookies the perfect roundness and the job run alot quicker and smother. In my opinion. I got mine at wally world, but the fancy ones can be found at pampered chief. I did mention I'd gladly except any free pampered chief stuff free right? Just checking. And finally for the last trick, when making these wonderful cookies you just have to use the raw sugar crystals. There is no bleaching here gals. Just pure cane raw crystals. Well that's my story and I'm stickin' to it as the old song says. Have a wonderful Wednesday!!
No comments:
Post a Comment