Friday

Forgotten Post

Well here's one I discovered was still in draft mode. I'm just going to have to stop emailing them in. I know it's much easier, but it just isn't working for me. So hopefully I won't have any more drafts floating around in cyber space anymore. So on to the post!

Here' some pictures of one of the goodies we traditionally make each christmas and share with local family and close friends. Each household gets a platter full of goodies. This is one that is always on them each year. This is a chocolate and peppermint melt in your mouth, soft chewy and yet a little crunchy decadance. Not sure what they are really called, but we call them "Melt Aways". They are soft peppermints. The kind we used in Girl Scouts when I was growing up and put them into oranges to drink through. They melt in your mouth quicker then a hard peppermint. Anyway, they are usually a challenge each year to find in the stores. Don't know if they are that popular or just old fashioned. But we hunt every November and sometimes into December for them. Our tradition is to purchase a little bit of our christmas goodies supplies with each trip starting right before Halloween and my December tenth we usually have all our supplies for everthing without having the marathon shopping spree for sweets all at one time. Anyway, back to the melt aways themselve. After the peppermints are broken up (we use the handle of an old ice pick, we're just technical like that here.) we melt the white chocolate bark. I never use chips for the candies unless I'm using them as chips in something. For coatings I perfer barks or sometimes called almond bark. The difference between chips and bark is that the bark has the parifin or shortning already added and all you need to do is heat it in the microwave or in a double boiler. I like to make this quick so I use the microwave. Directions are usually on the package. Tip: Brake apart into squares before you try to melt this. If you don't and try it solid the center will either still be cold and hard or the edges will get burnt. Burnt chocolate is a major offence in our house. YOu should never waste chocolate!! lol Then dump into the melted and stirred white bark the peppermint pieces. Onto wax paper lining a cookie sheet spread out the peppermint chocolate mixture. Spread it flat to about a half inch or so. Let set cooling for several hours. Then melt the brown chocolate bark the same way you did the white and spread that over the top of the white/peppermint mixture. Let it set until completely cooled and hardened. This can take a few hours. Then break into bite size pieces and enjoy. And just because, I'm adding the second shot I took of this wonderfully stuff. Doesn't it just scream Christmastime to you? Anyway, we also keep ours in the fridge. You don't have to do this, but we like it cold. Besides we live in Texas and you never know when it will all of a sudden decide to get hot outside. lol Next time you make this let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can make more of this for me anytime sugar! My favorite christmas time goodie. I'm so glad you live closer now. And not because I get this wonderful christmas platter or basket each year. lol You where missing while your where away. Later!
JAZ

The Woman who works with her hands only is a laborer. The woman who works with her hands and her head is a Crafts Woman. The Woman who works with her hands, her head, & her heart is an ARTIST. And if she uses her talents to bless others, she's an ARTIST after God's heart.